Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Skillet Lasagna

Once again, we had a huge hit on our hands. This big pot of noodle-y goodness was not only a score with my husband, but my father as well (who just happened to stop by for dinner). I added a little more sauce/noodles to the ground beef to give us some extra leftovers for a quick meal. And for the record, I HATE cottage cheese but I didn't even know it was there.

1lb of 93% lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
1 small onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 c diced tomatoes (I used about 2 for more sauce)
1 1/4 c water (I probably used 1 3/4 or 2 for more sauce)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce (I used a whole 15 oz can)
dried basil leaves
dried oregano leaves
salt/garlic salt
2 1/2 cups uncooked whole wheat pasta (I used 3+ c)
1 c fat free cottage cheese
1 fat free mozzarella cheese (or skim)
1/8-1/4 c fat-free Parmesan cheese (optional- I didn't use it)
dash of basil
dash of pepper

In a large skillet or pot (I used a big pot) brown the ground beef, onion and garlic. Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and season to taste w/basil oregano and salt (I used garlic salt for more flavor). Bring to a boil and add whole wheat pasta. Simmer for 20min or until pasta is tender.

In a bowl, combine cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese, mozzarella and a dash of basil and pepper.

Stir in spoonfuls of cheese mix into the pasta. Stir in completely. Continue to simmer for at least 5 minutes or until cheese has blended into the sauce.

No comments: